Review on "Development and usage of artificial intelligence in chess"

 I wanted to review this topic, because I have seen tons of videos on YouTube discussing it, but I have never really paid enough attention to the matter that I would do some kind of research on it. But now the opportunity has presented itself to me. It is time to enrichen my mind with knowledge and dig into the world of artificial intelligence in the game of chess.

I like the way they start the story from the very beginning. It helps you understand, how the game and the AI has evolved over time. The overview of the timeline was very interesting. I imagine that due to the sheer amount of material and research that is available for this topic, it was hard to pinpoint the most significant events, but they did a very good job. I like the fact that for each of the events that they brought up in the timeline, they got straight to the point with it. It was a pleasure to read, as the information is nice and compact. 

It is great that they also went into the background of chess engines themselves and did not directly jump into all of the algorithms that these engines use. Having background information before diving deeper into a subject is a good way to set the mind on the topic at hand. 

As I stated in the first paragraph YouTube videos are the ones that made me choose this topic for my review. Out of nowhere I started getting Hikaru Nakamura videos popping up in my recommended feed of videos. And I can say that it is true that the game of chess gained massive traction in the year of 2020. But I had no idea that chess was considered to be an actual e-sport and was very surprised to see that Hikaru actually got signed with TSM. This probably means that chess as an e-sport might 'blow up' even more in the near future.

Another interesting topic that they brought into this paper was that due to the pandemic chess tournaments had to move online and cheating in the game became a serious concern. As chess is a game of skill it can be very difficult to prove, whether a player is cheating or not. It is rather fascinating that artificial intelligence is being used to detect, whether the moves are being made by a real person or a computer. As online chess games and tournaments become more and more frequent a better system needs to be developed to catch the cheaters.

All in all, it was a tremendously informational and fascinating paper to read, I think they covered the topic very well and managed to capture the most important details when it comes to artificial intelligence in chess. On a side note thought, when looking into the references I did not see any links on reference 32 and 33, and also reference 1 gives a 404 error when trying to open the link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT professionalism in Estonia

To encrypt or not to encypt